Tagged: Missing

Information for the hosts/friends/families in case a migrant friend is missing.

— Initially published on Getting the Voice Out, so some infos are specific to Belgium, but the procedure to follow is valid everywhere. —


Many foreigners in irregular situation are controlled/arrested on public transport, on parking lots, at train stations or at their homes. They are brought to a police station for investigation by the Immigration Office. At the police station, their personal belongings and phones are confiscated, which means that they cannot contact anyone. Within the next 24 hours, they are either released, often with an order to leave the country (OQT – Ordre de Quitter le Territoire), or they are detained in one of the 5 detention centres for migrants (centre fermé – CF).

  • What to do…. BEFORE one of your friends is incarcerated:

– If your friend has already received an order to leave the country (OQT) or has a passport, ask their permission and make a copy, scan or take a photo of the order or passport. This will afford you access to the information (name, first name, nationality, date of birth) needed to find your friend.

– If they haven’t received an OQT or they have gotten rid of it, ask them to write down the first and last names, nationality and date of birth that are on record with their fingerprints and/or that they provided when they were caught. These data are essential for you to be able to locate them as soon as possible and to possibly undertake legal action.

In both cases, warn them of the risks of being placed in a detention centre for migrants (CF) if the police catch them and inform them of their rights, if they, unfortunately, get detained: possibility to give a phone call outside (ask them to write down your phone number on a piece of paper or to memorize it and to contact you as soon as possible) and the right to an attorney and to visits.

  • If you find out that they have been arrested

– If you know in which police station they are, call or go on site. If there are others in the same police station, contact all your friends and go there together to demand their release. This type of pressure has already led to the release of some detainees.
– In principle, they are entitled to make a phone call if they are being transferred to a detention centre for migrants. If they call you to announce their transfer, try to find out the location and the exact name they have provided to the police and the Immigration Office (Office des Etrangers – OE). This will buy you some time!

Detailed procedure in case of a disappearance:

-In the first 24 hours of a disappearance, be patient: they may be prevented from calling for many various reasons. If you haven’t received any news from your undocumented migrant friend/guest for a substantial amount of time, ask their acquaintances, their friends or other hosts in case they had planned to travel or have been in an accident. They might be stuck somewhere without a phone or with no battery and the best thing to do is to wait for them to get in touch with you. The police can detain them for 24 hours before deciding what to do with them.

– Has it been more than 24 hours? Have you learned that your friend has been detained? Has your friend contacted you but without knowing in which centre they are, …?

  • How to locate your missing friend?

Before starting to call detention centres:
Be aware that the primary role of a detention centre (CF) is not to help you or to collaborate with you but to “maintain undocumented migrants at a specified location close to borders so as to facilitate their removal from the country”. Also, the “social worker” provided to your friend represents the Immigration Office in the detention centre and is therefore not necessarily the kind of social worker you might have in mind.

Two possible scenarios:

-In the best case, you will have had time to talk to your friend before their arrest and you have the name they give to the police (whether actual or fictitious), as well as their nationality (whether actual or fictitious).
Call the “Caricole” detention centre at 02 719 71 09 or 02 719 71 10 as they – in theory – centralise the information and – normally – have a list of all the detainees. Ask them if the person that you are looking for is detained in their centre or in another one. They will ask you for your friend’s LAST NAME + first name + nationality. If they don’t find the information, it does not mean that your friend is not in a detention facility. Don’t give up; start calling all the other facilities:

Le Centre pour Illégaux de Bruges (CIB) Tél 050 45 10 40 mail: onthaalbis@ibz.fgov.be
Le Centre pour Illégaux de Merksplas (CIM) : 014 63 91 10 mail: cim.info@ibz.fgov.be
Le Centre pour Illégaux de Vottem (CIV) : 04 228 89 00
Centre 127 bis : Tel 02 759 42 99 —-02 755 00 00

-Second possibility: If you only know his or her alias, send an email to gettingthevoiceout@riseup.net where someone might be able to cross-reference that information with other calls made.

When you know that your missing friend is in a detention facility and you know its location, what else can you do?
(do what you can without any obligation: “Everyone does what they can, the way they can, when they can”)

-Get them a mobile phone without a camera (Note: your friend can request to have their SIM card in the detention facility). If not, try to get the phone number of a fellow detainee who is willing to receive your call. Through the private message (PM) groups you can also coordinate with other visitors to get the mobile phone to your friend.

– Visit him or her at the detention facility and/or bring them their belongings if at all possible (see the practical information provided for each detention facility CF). The PM groups have made it possible for hosts, friends and families to coordinate support (car rides, belongings,…) see below.

– Contact gettingthevoiceout (GVO) by email and give them the name of the detained person, their nationality and the name of the facility. GVO will put you in touch with a visitor or, for the guests of the plateforme d’hébergement citoyen with a designated contact person for that facility (“référents centre” (RC)) (see below).

As soon as you are in contact with your detained friend, try to find out what happened and if they want a lawyer.

If they want to be assisted by a lawyer, contact Gettingthevoiceout and provide them with as many details as possible. In some cases, it is urgent to find a lawyer because certain steps must be taken within 10 days, sometimes even within 5 days.
Send the information to gettingthevoiceout@riseup.net, never through Facebook or PM (private message)

This is the information the lawyer will need, in order of importance:
Name under which the person is registered in the detention centre (most often their OQT names if they have already received OQT’s)
-Nationality (as recorded by the Immigration Office) and their real identity
-Name of the detention centre: 127 bis, Caricole, Vottem, Bruges, Merksplas?
-Identification number (Immigration Office/IBZ/SP) that should, in principle, have been put on their badges upon their arrival at the centre.
-Date of birth
-Date of arrest
-Place of arrest
-Language of the case / language of their (how to know?)

  • Visits to detention facilities

Each centre has their own rules and procedures for visits (see specific information for each facility in annex). Visits also provide an opportunity to ask the detained persons about other guests/friends who are not accounted for.

  • Legal aspects

CAUTION: The legislations linked to the topics of migration are extremely complex. Don’t try to take on the role of a specialist or a specialised lawyer and don’t ever rely on the advice provided by the social workers in the detention centre as they first and foremost tend to defend the interests of the Immigration Office and not those of the migrants!

The first question to ask oneself: does your friend want the support of a lawyer? The decision is theirs but should they decide to get a lawyer, it is important that they be willing to listen, trust, follow their advice,and follow the legal proceedings to the end. Much too often, a lawyer is found only to be rejected by your friend for various reasons (fear of the unknown, lack of trust in the lawyer, belief that without lawyers they will be rapidly “dublinated” towards their point of entry…from which they’ll easily be able to return, which is often a false assumption!). Giving up on the proceedings benefits the Immigration Office whose aim is to make the life of the detainee so unbearable that they accept to be deported or agree to return voluntarily.

A specialised lawyer can identify flaws in the proceedings (badly formulated arrests and incarcerations documents, lack of interpreters, requests for asylum introduced by the Immigration Office against the will of the detainees, blind application of the Dublin rules…) and the lawyer can make sure your friend’s rights are respected.

Gettingthevoiceout has a list of competent lawyers to defend the rights of the migrants.

  • In case of release or deportation:

Inform gettingthevoiceout@riseup.net as quickly as you can on the fate of your friend so as to provide us with a global perspective on these deportations/releases.

  • In case of deportation threats

As soon as they arrive at the centre, the migrants can be threatened with deportation to the country of origin by the social worker, without mention of the existing recourses. They should not let themselves be intimidated.
One day though, if the legal proceedings have not reached a positive outcome, they will be given a “ticket” for a trip towards their country of origin or their “Dublin” country. It is then essential to inform the lawyer very quickly as he or she may, in some cases, still be able to introduce a recourse.

At the first deportation attempt, detainees can refuse boarding: they will be brought to the airport and if they refuse to get on the plane, they will be brought back to the detention centre, generally in a calm manner.

At the second deportation attempt (sometimes the third), they will be told they will be escorted and forcefully deported. If they resist, it can become very violent. If the detainee wants support to prevent their deportation, the CRER and Gettingthevoiceout can call upon people to mobilize, go to the airport and talk to the passengers of the flight in question. They’ll explain to the passengers that they have the right to inform the flight captain that they refuse to travel with a man/woman that is being deported by force. They can refuse to sit down as long as the deportee is on the plane.

For more information, please see http://www.gettingthevoiceout.org/how-to-stop-a-deportation/


  • For the hosts of the Plateforme hébergement citoyen: Coordination groups via Messenger and Whatsapp

Messenger or Whatsapp groups specific to each detention centre have been created.
They connect together the people/families concerned about the fate of a detainee, who would like to coordinate visits (car pools), drop off packages, get info, help and support one another, …
The Plateforme hébergement citoyen has also appointed contact persons for each detention centre (CF)in order to provide information, facilitate coordination with Gettingthevoiceout and stimulate the MP groups. They are voluntary. They are no legal advisors and they don’t liaise with the lawyers.



– Getting the voice out: http://www.gettingthevoiceout.org – Email: gettingthevoiceout@riseup.net  

– Tel:  +32484026781   

The information shared among the referents and GVO concerning the retainees are kept confidential except prior agreement of the retainee and can only be used in the interest of the retainee, individual or collective. 

Informations aux hébergeur.se.s/ami.e.s/familles en cas de disparition d’un.e migrant.e/sans papiers

— Initialement publié par http://www.gettingthevoiceout.org, infos spécifiquement valables pour la Belgique, mais la marche à suivre est valable ailleurs.–

26/06/2018: Informations aux hébergeur.se.s/ami.e.s/familles en cas de disparition d’un.e migrant.e/sans papiers

Beaucoup d’étranger.e.s en situation irrégulière se font contrôler/arrêter dans les transports publics, sur des parkings, dans les gares, à leur domicile, à l’office des Étrangers. Ils/elles sont amené.es au commissariat pour enquête par l’Office des étrangers. Au commissariat, on leur confisque leurs biens personnels et leur téléphone et ils/elles ne pourront pas vous contacter. Dans les 24 heures, ils/elles seront soit libéré.e.s avec souvent un Ordre de Quitter le Territoire (OQT), soit seront privé.e.s de liberté et incarcéré.e.s dans un des 5 centres fermés (CF).

  • Les bons réflexes… AVANT qu’un.e de vos ami.e.s ne soit enfermé.e :

– Si vos ami.e.s ont déjà reçu un Ordre de quitter le territoire (OQT) ou ont un passport, faites-en, avec leur accord, une copie, un scan ou une photo. Vous aurez ainsi une partie des informations nécessaires (Nom, prénom, nationalité, date de naissance) pour le retrouver.
– S’ils n’ont pas encore reçu d’OQT ou qu’ils s’en sont débarassés, demandez-leur de vous noter sur un papier le Nom, prénom, nationalité et date de naissance qui sont liés à leurs empreintes et/ou qu’ils/elles renseignent lorsqu’ils/elles se font capturer. Ces données sont importantes pour pouvoir les localiser le plus rapidement possible et lancer d’éventuelles démarches

Dans les deux cas, informez-les sur les risques de se faire enfermer dans un CF si la police les capture et de leurs droits si, par malchance, un jour, ils/elles sont enfermé.e.s : possibilité de donner un coup de fil à l’extérieur (demandez-leur de noter votre num de tél sur un papier ou de le mémoriser et de vous téléphoner le plus rapidement possible), possibilité d’avoir un avocat et d’avoir des visites.

  • Si vous apprenez qu’il/elle a été arrêté.e

-Si vous savez dans quel commissariat il/elle est, téléphonez ou allez-y. S’ils sont plusieurs dans le même commissariat, appelez tous voss ami.e.s et allez-y ensemble réclamer leur libération. Cette pression a déjà permis la libération de certain.e.s détenu.e.s.
-Théoriquement ils ont la possibilité de faire un appel lors de leur transfert en centre fermé. S’il/elle vous téléphone pour annoncer son transfert, essayez déjà de savoir où il/elle sera transféré.e et le nom exact qu’il/elle a transmis à la police et à l’Office des étrangers (OE). Cela vous fera gagner du temps !

  • Procédure détaillée en cas de disparition :

-Dans les premières 24h, quand une personne disparait, prenez patience : il peut être empêché de téléphoner pour plein de raisons. Si vous n’avez plus de nouvelles de votre ami.e migrant.e / invité.e / sans papiers depuis un temps anormalement long, renseignez-vous dans son entourage, auprès d’amis ou d’autres hébergeur.se.s sur un éventuel voyage prévu, sur un éventuel accident. Il/elle pourrait se retrouver coincé quelque part sans son GSM ou sans batterie, le mieux est d’attendre patiememnt des nouvelles de sa part.
La police peut les garder durant 24 heures avant de décider de leur sort.

– Plus de 24 heures sont passées ? quelqu’un.e vous a prévenu de son enfermement ou votre ami.e vous a contacté sans savoir où il.elle était enfermé.e ?

  • Comment localiser le/la disparu.e ?

Avant de commencer les appels aux centres fermés:
Soulignons ici que le rôle d’un centre fermé (CF) n’est a priori pas de nous aider ou de collaborer avec nous mais “de maintenir les étranger.e.s dans un lieu déterminé situé aux frontières qui facilitera leur éloignement du territoire” et que “l’assistant.e social.e” est le représentant de l’office des étrangers en centre fermé et est loin d’être une assistante sociale comme on pourrait l’imaginer.

Deux cas de figure :

-Dans le meilleur des cas, vous avez eu le temps de discuter avec vos amis avant leur arrestation et vous avez le nom qu’il/elle donne à la police (réel ou fictif), la date de naissance (réelle ou fictive), sa nationalité (réelle ou fictive)
Appelez le centre fermé « Caricole » au 02 719 71 09 ou 02 719 71 10 qui joue – en théorie – un “rôle de centralisateur” et dispose – normalement – d’une liste de toutes les personnes détenues en CF . Demandez si la personne que vous cherchez est enfermée chez eux ou dans un autre centre. Ils vous demanderont son NOM + Prénom + Nationalité. S’ils ne trouvent pas, cela ne signifie pas nécessairement qu’il n’est pas dans un CF. Prenez votre baton de pélerin et téléphonez à tous les autres CF :

Le Centre pour Illégaux de Bruges (CIB) Tél 050 45 10 40 mail: onthaalbis@ibz.fgov.be
Le Centre pour Illégaux de Merksplas (CIM) : 014 63 91 10 mail: cim.info@ibz.fgov.be
Le Centre pour Illégaux de Vottem (CIV) : 04 228 89 00
Centre 127 bis : Tel 02 759 42 99 —-02 755 00 00

-Deuxième cas de figure: Si vous ne connaissez que son alias envoyez un mail à gettingthevoiceout@riseup.net qui pourra peut être croiser les éléments que vous pouvez donner et les retrouver parmi les appels faits par d’autres.

  • Si vous savez que votre disparu.e est en CF et où, que pouvez-vous faire de plus? (en fonction de vos possibilités, sans aucune obligation : “Chacun fait ce qu’il peut, comme il peut, quand il peut”)

-Lui faire parvenir un GSM sans camera (NB : ils peuvent demander au CF de récupérer leur carte SIM) afin de garder le contact avec lui. Sinon, essayer d’avoir le numéro de GSM d’un compagnon de chambrée prêt à ce que vous lui téléphoniez. Pour les hébergeurs de la plateforme il y a des groupes MP pour s’organiser avec d’autres visiteurs pour lui faire parvenir ce GSM (voir plus bas)

-Lui rendre visite au CF et/ou lui faire parvenir des affaires selon vos possibilités (voir les fiches pratiques rédigées pour chaque CF). Pour les hébergeur.se.s,des groupes d’amis et de familles se sont constitués, notamment via les groupes MP, afin de coordonner les aides (covoiturage, affaires…) voir plus bas.

-Contactez gettingthevoiceout (GVO) par mail en donnant le nom du détenu.e, sa nationalité et le centre où il se trouve. GVO vous mettra en contact avec un.e visiteur.se ou pour les invités de la plateforme un des “référents centre” (RC) (voir plus bas)

Dés que vous avez un contact avec le détenu.e, essayez de savoir ce qui s’est passé et si il/elle veut un avocat.
Si il est d’accord d’être soutenu par un avocat, prévenez Gettingthevoiceout et envoyez leur le plus de détails possible. Il est dans certains cas urgent de trouver un avocat le plus rapidement possible car certaines démarches doivent se faire dans les 10 voir 5 jours.
Envoyez les informations à gettingthevoiceout@riseup.net, jamais par FB ou mp

L’avocat aura besoin par ordre d’importance des éléments suivants :
Questionnez le détenu.e ou ses ami.e.s:
• Nom de la personne sous lequel elle est inscrite dans le centre (le plus souvent celui repris sur ses OQT, si il ou elle en a déjà reçus)
• Nationalité (telle qu’enregistrée par l’Office) et sa réelle identité
• Dans quel centre fermé elle se trouve : 127bis, Caricole, Vottem, Bruges, Merksplas ?
• Numéro d’identification (Office des Etrangers/IBZ/SP), notez sur leur badge reçu à l’arrivée au centre théoriquement
• Date de naissance
• Date d’arrestation
• Lieu d’arrestation
. Langue du dossier

  • Les visites en CF

Chaque CF a ses propres régles et procédures de visite (voir fiches spécifiques pour chaque centre ci-jointes ). Les visites sont également une opportunité pour questionner les détenu.e.s sur la présence d’autres disparu.e.s que certain.e.s recherchent.

Mode d’emploi visites 127 bis ici                                                                                                   Mode d’emploi visites Bruges ici                                                                                                 Mode d’emploi visites Merksplas  ici                                                                                              Mode d’emploi visites Vottem

Et pour info

Réglement d’ordre Intérieur pour chaque centre (ROI)                                                        Merksplas ROI CIM                                                                                                                       ROI-Brugge                                                                                                                                              ROI Caricole                                                                                                                                      127 bis   :  Non disponible                                                                                                                                           Vottem : non disponible


  • Les aspects juridiques

ATTENTION : Les législations liées aux questions migratoires sont extrêmement complexes. Ne vous substituez pas à un spécialiste où à un avocat specialisé et, dans tous les cas, ne vous fiez pas aux conseils des assistant.e.s social.e.s des Centres fermés qui, de notre expérience, défendent avant tout l’intérêt de l’O.E. et pas des détenu.e.s !

La première question à se poser : est-ce que le détenu.e désire l’aide d’un avocat ? La décision lui revient mais s’il décide d’en prendre un, il est important qu’il/elle suive ses conseils, qu’il/elle lui fasse confiance et aille jusqu’au bout de la procédure juridique. Trop souvent, en effet, on trouve un avocat qu’il/elle refuse finalement pour diverses raisons (peur de l’inconnu, manque de confiance en l’avocat qu’il ne connait pas, croyance que sans avocat il sera dubliné rapidement vers le pays d’entrée… d’où il reviendra vite, ce qui est parfois/souvent un mauvais calcul !). L’abandon de la procédure en cours de route fait en effet les affaires de l’office des étrangers qui veut rendre la vie des détenus insupportable afin qu’il/elle accepte une expulsion ou un retour volontaire.

Un avocat spécialisé pourra trouver les failles dans les procédures (arrestations et enfermements mal formulés, absence d’interprètes, demande d’asile introduite par l’Office des Étrangers contre la volonté de la personnes, application aveugle des Dublin… ) et faire respecter les droits de votre amigrant.e. !

Gettingthevoiceout dispose d’une liste d’avocats compétents pour défendre les droits des migrants.

  • En cas de libération ou d’expulsion:

Faites nous savoir rapidement sur gettingthevoiceout@riseup.net le sort réservé au détenu afin d’avoir une vision globale sur ces expulsions/libérations

  • En cas de menace d’expulsion

Dés son arrivée au centre, l’assistant.e. social.e menace le détenu d’une expulsion vers le pays d’origine sans mentionner les recours possibles. Il ne faut pas qu’il.elle se laisse intimider.
Un jour pourtant, si les démarches juridiques n’ont pas abouti, il.elle recevra un “ticket” pour un vol vers son pays d’origine ou le pays ” Dublin”. Il est alors important de prévenir très vite l’avocat.e qui peut dans certains cas encore faire un recours.

A la première tentative d’expulsion le détenu peut refuser son embarquement: il/elle sera amené.e à l’aéroport et si il/elle refuse, il/elle sera ramené.e au centre dans le calme généralement.

A la deuxième tentative d’expulsion (parfois à la troisième), il lui sera notifié qu’il/elle sera accompagné.e d’une escorte et expulsé.e de force. Si le/la détenu.e résiste cela devient très violent. Si le/la détenu.e veut de l’aide pour empêcher cette expulsion, le CRER et gettingthevoiceout peuvent faire un appel pour mobiliser des personnes pour aller à l’aéroport et parler aux passagers du vol concerné. Ils/elles expliquent aux passagers qu’ils ont le droit, en s’adressant au commandant de bord, de refuser de faire le voyage avec un homme/femme qui est expulsé de force. Ils peuvent refuser de s’asseoir aussi longtemps que la personne explusée n’est pas sortie du vol.                                                                              Pour plus de détails lire http://www.gettingthevoiceout.org/comment-arreter-une-expulsion/


  • Pour les hébergeurs de la Plateforme citoyenne:

Groupes de coordination Messenger et Whatsapp
Des groupes Messenger ou Whatsapp spécifiques à chaque CF ont été mis en place.
Ils rassemblent les personnes / familles concernées par l’un.e de leur invité.e incarcéré.e et qui souhaitent se coordonner pour les visites (covoiturage), le dépot de colis, avoir des infos, s’entraider, se soutenir…
Des référents par centre fermé (RC) ont été désignés par la Plateforme citoyenne pour informer et faciliter la liaison avec Gettingthevoiceout et dynamiser ces groupes MP. Ce sont des volontaires, ils ne sont pas conseiller juridique et ne gèrent pas les contacts avec les avocats.

Contacts :
– Getting the voice out : http://www.gettingthevoiceout.org – Email : gettingthevoiceout@riseup.net
– Tél : +32484026781
Les informations transmises entre les référents et GVO
concernant des détenu.e.s spécifiques sont tenues confidentielles sauf
accord préalable du détenu.e et ne sont utilisées que dans l’intérêt du
détenu, individuel ou collectif.