Lots to do

We went to market and got lots of free food.

Drove past some police (not CRS) around a man who appeared to be unconscious and another French man we are friendly with. We heard that the unconscious man had got inside the fence of the dock but was seen by security and jumped from the bridge. We were ushered on by the cops but we will go to hospital with the man, who we know.

Took some of the food to the Hazara Jungle, where we were greeted by “Water! Water!” The Hazara were dry and unable to carry water by hand as it’s such a long way (out by the old hoverferry terminal). A man who usually gets it for them has not been by in a few days. We loaded the van up with empty bottles and containers and drove out to the water pump at the car park where La Belle Etoile destribute food, accompanied by an Iranian man who is living at the Hazara Jungle. He has been in Calais only two days and is a good contact to make as his English is excellent. He was tortured in Iran before the election – He showed me where they burned his arm with cigarettes.

At the water pump I hold the water bottles while some of the men who had been hanging around came over to help wind the pump.

When all the bottles were full, returning to the van it was getting mobbed by gathering crowds who had seen the food in the back. We gave away all but one box of food, which we saved for the Sudanese camp. We also gave out lots of the clothes we had brought with us from England. Felt like aid workers and having enormous power as to who could receive and who not.

We drove the water back to the Hazara, where I photographed the Iranian man’s wounds with my phone. He had pictures of his injuries before, but they took his camera from him in Greece, where they locked him up for three months and took his fingerprints. There is an injured man at the Hazara who is out of medicine. We promise to bring him some tomorrow.

Manu Chao gig in Calais tomorrow and we will have a stall there. Also an initial false rumour that he wanted to play a gig IN the Pashtun Jungle. Turned out to be a mis-communication and Pashtun not up for it anyway: Ramadan and they don’t trust us. Our relationship with that particular Jungle is unfortunately bad now as the people who run it have told the others not to trust us. We have been told it is dangerous for us to go there. Our relationship with all other Jungles is very good at present and we are looking for ways we might be able to help heal this one, maybe when Ramadan is over.

Met the others at the Ethiopian squat, where they dropped off the car battery we had charged up for them. They now have lighting, although the CRS have smashed one of their lights.

We went on to the Dockside (formerly called Palestinian or International) and Sudanese camps briefly to deliver clothes and food. Hung out with Sudanese by train tracks for a while, then the Docks, where I had a fascinating discussion about Anarchism with a Sudanese man who had never heard the word before. We also saw the man from this morning who had jumped from the bridge and been taken to hospital. He seems ok but is in pain. His foot is bandaged up. Apparently he was in Dover two days earlier, but got caught and sent back. Now he will have to rest.